Project Director, Hazardous Materials Training Program
Electronic Systems Laboratory
Human Systems Integration Division
Georgia Tech Research Institute
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0837
- 404-407-7209 (office)
- 404-407-9209 (fax)
M.S.P.H., Environmental/Occupational Health, University of Alabama in Birmingham 1983
B.A., Zoology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 1981
1994-present: Georgia Institute of Technology, Senior Research Scientist
1988-94: Georgia Institute of Technology, Research Scientist II
1983-88: Georgia Institute of Technology, Research Scientist I
1982: University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Staff Assistant
1982: University of Alabama in Birmingham, Biology Instructor
Serves as Director of the GTRI Hazardous Materials Training Program; has held this position for the past twenty two years. These duties entail directing OSHA hazmat emergency response training courses (currently five different training programs) to industry, construction, educational institutions, public safety and military. This hazmat training program was named Hazardous Materials Center of Excellence for State of Georgia in 2002 by Georgia Emergency Management Agency. In 2002, coordinated multi-jurisdictional hazmat/WMD drill conducted for President George W. Bush, involving seven local and over 30 fire departments from around state, overall scenario Incident Commander, scenario development and coordination with Secret Service and other security agencies. Conducted scenario briefing of POTUS, narrated and answered questions during direct interview with POTUS, DHS Secretary Tom Ridge and Senator Saxby Chambliss. Served as Incident Coordinator for 2006 GEMA MCI Rescue & Response Drill. Has been interviewed on radio, television and print media on training, hazmat and WMD issues. Worked with GT Homeland Security Director on campus issues such as evacuation plans and community drills. Was Chair of GMAG Hazmat SOP Working Group and currently participates in various GMAG planning efforts. Also serves as technical resource for local hazmat teams, calls and emergencies as part of GMAG. Technical Advisor to Cobb County and Douglas County Fire Department Hazmat Teams. Participated in DoD-sponsored training on chemical/biological warfare response during 1996 Summer Olympics and was part of GMAG planning effort for responses to such incidents. Prior to and during Olympics, trained and worked with various local, statewide and national law enforcement, fire and military organizations, as well as MARTA. Has completed US Army Chemical School's countermeasures course on chemical warfare agents and has trained with live nerve agent (GB and VX). Served as Technical Advisor to Georgia Tech Library & Information Center's National Security in the 21st Century. Lectures on HAZWOPER, respiratory protection, personal protective equipment, confined spaces and other topics at Georgia Tech OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Ed Center courses. Conducts presentations to industry and educational groups on HAZWOPER, emergency response, Incident Command and terrorism. Coordinated Hazardous Materials component of Georgia Tech Hazard Assistance Program. Served as two-term chairman of Fulton County Local Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC) and sat on State of Georgia LEPC as well as Cobb County Resource Council. Served as book proposal reviewer for large publishing house and has peer-reviewed another book. Works with local private and public universities on hazardous material, safety and homeland security issues. Has directed course series on hazardous waste generator regulations, site safety, and transporter regulations, Part B permit preparation, threat and risk assessment and post-disaster business continuity for industry, government and contractors. Also serves as safety consultant in Safety and Health Consultation Program funded by OSHA, provides no-cost safety and health compliance consultation to Georgia businesses. Was Cub Scout Den Leader for four years and is currently Boy Scout Assistant Scout Master.
Current Fields of Interest
Hazardous material/chemical/biological warfare emergency response and training, homeland security issues, emergency planning, risk and threat assessment, computer response simulation and overall emergency management.
- Incident Coordinator, GEMA MCI Rescue & Response Drill, 2006
- IC & coordinated hazmat/WMD drill for former President George W. Bush, 2002
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, Atlanta Division, Citizen's Academy Inaugural Class, 2000
- Douglas County Fire Department, Technical Advisor to Hazmat Team, 2003-present
- Cobb County Fire and Emergency Services, Technical Advisor to Hazmat Team, 1991-present
- Georgia Mutual Aid Group, Planning Section Technical Resource, 1995-present
- Georgia Mutual Aid Group, Hazmat SOP Working Group, 1995-1998
- Fulton County Local Emergency Planning Commission, member, 1995-2002
- International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators, Associate Member, 1994-present
- State of Georgia Local Emergency Planning Committee, member, 1998-2001
- Cobb County Resource Council, member, 1999-2001
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, Full Member, 1983-2001
- Fulton County Local Emergency Planning Commission, Chairman, 1996-1998
- National Fire Protection Association, Full Member, 1990-1999
- American Industrial Hygiene Association, Associate Member, 1983-1994
- Environmental Safety Alert, Board of Advisors, 1993
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Hazardous Waste Committee, 1985-1986
Major Reports, Publications, and Presentations
- Kamperman, K.L., et.al. Hazmat Technician Course Notebook. (2003-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Hazmat Technician Annual Refresher Course Notebook (Decontamination). (2005).
- Kamperman, K.L. Hazmat Technician Annual Refresher Course (Hands-on Option) Notebook. (2005).
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Hazmat Technician Annual Refresher Course (Drill Option) Notebook. (2002).
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Personal Protective Equipment Specialist Course Notebook. (2002-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Decontamination Specialist Course Notebook. (2002-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Air Sampling and Atmospheric Monitoring Specialist Course Notebook. (2002-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. Hazmat Safety Officer Course Notebook. (2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L., Mykytyn, J. and Chovan, P.A. Hazmat Incident Command Course Notebook. (2002-2004). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. First Responder Operations Course Notebook. (2005).
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Chemical/Biological Agent and Terrorism Course Notebook (2004-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Kamperman, K.L. and Mykytyn, J. Initial Procedures for Handling Chemical & Biological Incidents Course Notebook (2002-2005). Updates and revisions.
- Chovan, P.A., Prichard, P.S., Mykytyn, J. and Kamperman, K.L. Fire Department Incident Safety Officer Course Notebook. (2002).
- Kamperman, K.L. Mykytyn, J, and Thomaston, S.W. Hazardous Materials Containment Specialist Course Notebook. (1997).
- C.M. Melton, K.L. Kamperman, and C.W. Calmbacher, "Hazardous Materials Spills Require Adequate Training and Assessment." Occupational Health and Safety Magazine, Volume 55, Number 5, May 1986, pp. 56 60.
- K.L. Kamperman, C.W. Calmbacher, and J.H. Mann, "The Georgia Tech Hazardous Waste On site Consultation Program: 1985 Final Report," 1986.
- K.L. Kamperman and J.C. Nemeth, "The Georgia Tech On site Consultation Program Presents: A Typical Site Visit." 1985.
- J.C. Nemeth and K.L. Kamperman, "Small quantity Generator Compliance Manual," 1985.
- J.C. Nemeth and K.L. Kamperman, "The Georgia Tech Hazardous Waste On site Consultation Program: Approach and Results," 1985.
- K.L. Kamperman and J.C. Nemeth, "Environmental and Hazardous Waste Audit for MARTA Bus Operating, Heavy Maintenance, and Rail Maintenance Facilities," 1984.
- "Health Effects of Strip Mining as a Result of Acidic Leaching of Heavy Metals," technical briefing paper for the Alabama Waste Improvement Board and Alabama Surface Mining Commission, 1982.